CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Dining Room Evolution-New paint color and Refinished furniture


You are going to see a lot of pics in this post!! 
Our dining room has gone through quite a few different changes in the last 5 years since we bought our home.  Changes in paint color and I cannot begin to count how many times I've changed curtains.  I think I was in love with the black dining room set for about a month but because we spent so much money on it there was no way I was able to get a new one.  I hadn't measured the room when I bought the set so I didn't realize how much it would over power the room, along with the fact that once we put the leaf in there was no room to walk around the table.  
Needless to say this room wasn't used much.

When we first bought our home 2007.  The curtains and the paint color were left over from the previous owners.

In 2008 I decided to paint the room with some left over paint I had from the master bedroom.  As you could see by the pic, I ran out of paint after doing the bottom of the chair rail.  It stayed like this for about a year till I tried to decide what color I wanted to paint it.

Finally decided on SW Whole Wheat.  Still not in love with this room.
I tried everything to perk up this room.  Changing curtains, using chair covers... 

I sold the dining room set but I kept the corner shelf, it received a make over with some chalk paint.

One of the last pictures of the dining room set before it was sold.
I finally decided on colors that would hopefully stick around for a while.  I painted with Olympia One color matched  to BM White Sand and the trim in Chantilly Lace.


My thrifted $25 dining room set!  When I saw this set I was reminded of the set Miss Mustard Seed had in her dining room and knew I had to try and do as good a job as she did even though it is hard to fill her shoes, her furniture redos are amazing!!

Love, love the cane back chairs!

The table had me fooled.  I thought it was wood on the top so I started to sand it, use paint stripper on it.  Nope, not wood.  A piece of Formica.  Nothing I could do to change it so I painted the bottom in ASCP Old White and added an antique gold glaze to the edges.

I knew I didn't want to leave the leaning shelf in the room and wanted to do something different.  My neighbor was getting rid of this dresser so I scooped it up.

A quick sanding..
The wire cubby was going to go in my craft room for storage but I had an idea, the only thing that was wrong was it was black.  I used silver and stainless steel color glazes and sponged it all over to give it a galvanized look.

I stained the top in dark walnut and used ASCP in Old White for the bottom of the dresser.

I painted the drawers in ASCP in Paris Grey and used a stencil for the design.

Wasn't sure what kind of knobs I wanted so I used some that I had on an old dresser that's going to be my next project.

I used ASCP in Pure White and Old White for the chairs.

I covered the chairs in painters drop cloth.  At some point I'm going to use fabric paint and do some sort of design.

After the wax was applied and buffed.
My new thrifted curio and storage. Having a dresser in the dining room turns out to be one of the best things I've ever done.  The draws provide storage that I never had before, from extra plates to linens.

The black corner shelf got a makeover in ASCP as well.  I've finally found curtains that I fell in love with...


Close up of the cubby done with the glazes.








Here is my "Miss Mustard Seed" inspired dining room! The only thing left to change is the rug, soon as I find the perfect one.
xoxo
Jeri
Sharing over at:
http://celebratingeverydaylife.com/get-featured-recycled-repurposed-diy-project-link-party/

http://diyshowoff.com/2012/09/30/diy-project-parade-52/
DIY Show Off
http://www.getouttamyheadplease.com/2012/10/show-it-off-linky-party-28/
http://www.domestically-speaking.com/2012/10/147th-power-of-paint-party-think-pink.html
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
TDC Before and After
HookingupwithHoH



Fridays Unfolded
Weekend Bloggy Reading

Thirty Handmade Days

Visit My 1929 Charmer Blog!
Fox Hollow Cottage
It's Overflowing
Positively Splendid

Photobucket
I Heart Nap Time
http://youaretalkingtoomuch.com/2012/10/meet-me-monday-linky-party-16/
Home Stories A2Z

Liz Marie Blog
The 36th AVENUE
shabby creek cottage
Share Your Creations
Furniture Feature Fridays
In The Old Road
Mod Vintage Life

66 comments:

Cranberry Morning

This is an amazing transformation! What a difference. And I love how you made a hutch. Lovely!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Gorgeous! I especially love that dresser/cubby combo! It's such a nice mix of texture and style. I just recently redid my dining room, too and posted about it yesterday.

Have a great week!
Angela

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion

Oh this is beautiful, I love your new dining room.

Green Willow Pond

I love what you've done! It's so much lighter and brighter now. The cubby hutch is so awesome! I just love wire cubbies, but putting it on the dresser is inspired. Love it!!

Jeri

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and taking the time to stop by! I'm on my way to visit each of you!
xoxo
Jeri

cabinetcuresofoklahoma

This post is written in a very good and entails a lot of useful information for me. I am glad to find a good way of writing the post.

Cabinet refinishing oklahoma city

Stacia Liechty

I love those wire cubbies. And everything you have in them! Kinda country, but still fresh and modern. Nice work! You sound like me, always changing/tweaking something!
Stacia@ http;//feathersandsunshine.blogspot.com

suzyq

You knocked this transformation right out of the park!!! I love every single thing about it - the dresser and cubbies look gorgeous - but I'm still in shock over what you paid for the dining set - absolutely in shock - this wouldn't happen in my corner of the woods, let me tell you!
Sitting here drooling as I type lol
Definitely your newest follower - would love to have you come be for a visit and follow back when you have the time ( and when you can tear yourself away from that room )
Hugs,
Suzan

Jeri

Thanks ladies!!
xoxo

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin

What a wonderful transformation! Love the cubbies. Perfect. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from HOH. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-17.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Jeri

Thank you so much Kathryn on my way over!!
xoxo
Jeri

Terry Moore

We are kindred spirits since we change out rooms and wall color as often as each of us do. I absolutely adore your dining room now! It is so perfect and when you find that rug...think Miss Mustard Seed again your room will be so awesome!

~ Liz ~

Just beautiful. Love the transformations!
Liz

Stuff and Nonsense

wow
you've been
working hard
and now
your dining room
is a lovely and inviting space

thanks for sharing
at Fridays Unfolded!

alison

Jeri

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and taking the time to stop by!
xoxo
Jeri

~ Liz ~

Hi Jeri, Just wanted to thank you for stopping in at Quirky Vistas and taking the time to leave me your cute comment and for following! I'm your newest follower as well! Stop in again soon!
Liz

Abby

That is absolutely lovely! It looks very pretty and cozy and I love the wire shelves!

Anne

Holy adorable!!!! Love the painted table & chairs, LOVE that hutch!!! Want that hutch..........

Fabulous job, love all of it, your dining room is magazine-worthy.

xox

Hi I'm Shannon!

You nailed it! Every little detail is gorgeous and the dresser makeover is stunning!!!! (sorry, those !!!! were necessary)

Pamela

What an among transformation! I love how you redid the dresser and used the metal shelving to create a hutch!

Jeri

Thank you so much ladies!! You all made my day!!
xoxo

DIY Show Off

You dining room has a beautiful story! I love the evolution! We have a dresser in the dining room too and I love those drawers for storage. SO clever and LOVE the new 'hutch'! Great job, Jeri!

Restore and Renew

Great redo!! The dresser is beautiful and the chairs look amazing. Donna G.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

So pretty! I really love that dresser, thanks for linking up.
XO
Kristin

Cynthia

Too beautiful for words!! Great job on the painting. The stenciling came out great too. Fantastic job. Visiting from Coastal Charm.

Cynthia

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer

Beautiful transformation! You may not have gotten it right before, BUT you certainly did now! Just fab. Love your new "hutch". There really isn't anything I don't love about this room! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Sharing Shadymont

Your dining room is lovely! You did a great job. I love your curtains too!

Shannon

Your room has changed so much! Love the makeovers - especially the 'hutch' and the repainted dining set!
xo,
Shannon

Jeri

Thank you ladies!! I love the room so much now!! I'm still on the search for the perfect rug.
xoxo
Jeri

Erika@BeBookBound

Just when I was happy with my dining room, I saw this! Jaw dropping! Seriously! Every bit as lovely as Miss Mustard Seed's. And I think I would crawl over glass to get my hands on some of the curtain fabric. Where did you get it?

Miss Mustard Seed

The dining room looks great! I love those chairs and the wire cubby shelf on top of the dresser. Beautiful room!

Sherry

This is amazing!!! What a transformation! I love the metal hutch piece! Genius! The whole room is stunning! I will definitely be looking at this post several times :-)

Jeri

Thank you all very much! I appreciate the lovely comments so much and taking time to stop by!

Erika, I purchased the curtains from Countrycurtains.com and the pattern is Laura's Garden, they're very well made and made in the USA!

xoxo
Jeri

Lisa @ akawest

Wow, you did a great job!
I am right behind you in age, and know all about the need to nurture.

New follower...Lisa from akawest.com

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking

Oh so pretty!!! I'm featuring your dining room in the Power of Paint Party Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living

Gorgeous!!! Love that cubby and dresser and the table and chairs look fantastic. One of the best makeovers I've seen!

Laura Ingalls Gunn

What a fantastic room. I too am in love with your curtains. May I ask where you found them?

Classy Clutter

Holy cow!!! BEAUTIFUL! I just redid a friend's dining area for her and it is so similar! She has a built in white curio cabinet just like yours!! She even has a really similar chandelier she found for a steal on craigslist! Yours looks amazing and very Mustard Seed ;)

If you want, you should look at the post I did of her dining room!

http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/08/adorable-dining-room-and-dining-set.html

I would LOVE if you'd link this up to my link party going on now!

XOXO, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/10/spotlight-saturday-34.html

Rhonda

What a phenomenal job - you got such a great deal with that $25 dining set. Wow. And the wire storage is straight out of Pottery Barn - beautiful!

Visiting from I Heart Naptime... Rhonda @ home.made.

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate

It looks beautiful! I love how your dresser turned out too. Great colors!

Becky @ The Barefoot Seamstress

Wow, what a lovely cozy room! Love the dresser colors...you may have inspired me to paint my dresser the same!

Jennifer

Beautiful! Thanks for linking up to our Pretty Things party. Hope to see you back next week!

Joy@aVintageGreen

Terrific makeover. The wire cubby made your room unique. Everything looks great.
Joy

Nancy at maddalee™

Very beautiful and impressive redo, thank you for sharing all your hard work!

Have a good day, Nancy

FABBY'S LIVING

I love your new dining room, just lovely! You made a pretty hutch too. Big hugs,
FABBY

Magnolia Cottage

What a beautiful transformation on your dining room. Love, love it! Your table & chairs are so lovely!
Lisa

Rita

what a great transformation. it doesn't look the same room any longer.
I love what you did with your table and cane back chairs and let me tell you that the dresser-cubby combo is pure genius.
rita

Good Time Charlie

Thank you so much for sharing at my party! I am in the middle of a dining room/living room makeover, and I loved seeing how yours has changed over the years. I am featuring tomorrow. Thanks again. -K

Michele Alger

I love to paint. I do it a lot, and the one thing I learned is that when I'm happy and don't want to change it, I finally found the perfect color. No wonder you love it. You found it! What a beautiful job you did. BRAVO!!

Debbie @ MeandMyDIY

Oh. My. Goodness. That dresser looks amazing! Lucky you to score that from your neighbor! You did such a great job refinishing it, and I really like your choice of colors/finishes, etc. And I love what you did with the cubby hutch. That was so creative. It all looks great. Well done!
Debbie

Rachel and her Brasileiros

You did SUCH a good job! I love it! It is amazing how your style has improved over time! I wish your pictures were bigger because everything was so beautiful, and I wanted to see them better!

KureMom

First time ever commenting on a blog! Your dining room looks amazing! so MMS! love the color change and the drape fabric! Beautiful

KureMom
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeri

Thank you all so much for taking the time to stop by and leave such sweet and touching comments!! It makes this room so much more special!!
xoxo
Jeri

Art and Sand

I found you via Redoux. I love your wire cubbies. I have seen something similar (for lots of money) in the Sundance catalogue.

Love all your pictures of the evolution of you DR.

cabinetcuresofoklahoma

I Really aperyceat this conttent your style has improved over time! I wish your pictures were bigger because everything was so beautiful



Cabinet refinishing oklahoma city

Claire Rose

I adore your dining room makeover- it really looks fabulous and I wanted you to know I featured your dresser and bins on my Saturday favorites! Have a great weekend-Claire

Stacey

Your dining room is so pretty! I love the furniture you have now and those drapes are gorgeous. You were so smart to use the wire cubbies on top of the chest. That makes the room look collected and unique. Now I need something like that!

Stacey

Your dining room is so pretty! I love the furniture you have now and those drapes are gorgeous. You were so smart to use the wire cubbies on top of the chest. That makes the room look collected and unique. Now I need something like that!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot

Whoa.
What a transformation from the first picture to the last one.
I'm really loving your dining room now.
Gotta love Miss Mustard Seed's inspiration. The table turned out great. The dresser with the wire shelving...spectacular.
Love it.

I found your blog via Red Hen Home-- link up (I think)
Pat

Nita {ModVintageLife}

I featured your creative hutch today on Mod Mix Monday!

Damien
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pie Lady Pat

Inspiring! I love your new look. Need to get busy after New Year's and do some redecorating around here! Thanks!

Pie Lady Pat

Well, here I am back again... 2~1/2 months later... we repainted the entire house in a myriad of colors... I will put together a blog posting.. thanks again for the inspiration!

donna foisy

I love love love your make over, I just made over my dining room but I have an antique buffet that I want to paint but not sure how to go about it, any ideas...

Jamie Fox

I was just wondering where you got the metal bins at? The are so adorable.